I originally wanted to post pictures right away but I figured that waiting a full year to write a review might be more meaningful.
To start Ive learned pools arent easy. Even worse with the pandemic. We were very ready for many of the supply chain issues that hit us during our pool construction which occurred during the multitude of lockdowns. While much of it was not the fault of YRP, Will, Sean, and Elliot were very communicative to set expectations, and re-set where necessary.
THE PLANNING: We went with a pool design of our own. We did not want a pool that filled our backyard as we also install an ice rink in the winter. The team was quick to accommodate and gave several fibreglass options that really helped us to nail the look we needed. I had also done a lot of research myself and again, the YRP team was there to give me the appropriate level of detail to make the correct decisions.
Things to consider:
- If possible, consider lighting. Its just so important to the look and if you try to do it after, its going to look very un-integrated. The lighting specifically for us was retaining wall lights as well as well as lamps around key walking areas. The hanging lights on the fence were an afterthought that we very much enjoy.
- We added a water feature which we love. At full blast, its a bit loud, but its water.
- Go with not-so-white stone if you can. Lighter stone does appear to wear a bit more due to mother nature.
- Dont try and cheap out on the equipment. Oversize your heater if you can and get a robot!!!
THE EXECUTION: The YRP team were onsite almost every day as promised. Tesu and his team were working almost non-stop and were always clear about when they were coming and going. Workers never appeared to be slacking off and were very respectful to us and our neighbours.
- I will admit, its a bit scary when a huge pool is hanging with a crane over your house. No homes were damaged during construction
- YRP used a series of French drains which have done a good job of ensuring that water doesnt pool. The retaining walls are also moving water properly.
- Electrical and gas work are very well done. Nothing appears to be messy and is very well hidden.
- Pool school team is very patient and accommodating to our questions and concerns.
THE NOW: A year later and we still love our pool. We added a small firepit that helps us to add the ambiance we wanted. Note: Our season did not start the way we wanted to as there was some issues with our heater, which YRP had repaired after it was reported (in just 3 business days).
- Really take the time to review opening/closing costs of the pool. (They did catch us off guard)
- Make sure you order your winter cover EARLY.
- Good patio furniture is expensive but worth it.
- Make sure you know the zones around your property (We required a variance application which set us behind 1 month).
- Measure your gas appliance utilization. We had to call Enbridge for a larger gas pipe (no charge)
Overall I cannot say enough good things about the YRP team of Elliot, Will, Sean, and Tesu. I would highly recommend them for any pool work as their experience and advice really helped to get the project done quickly and with a high degree of quality.