In September 2020, we hired Alex and BalmBuilt to do a home renovation and two story addition to our house. The contract agreed that BlamBuilt would create all documentation and drawings and provide them to us, would apply for the needed permits, go through the committee of adjustments with the City of Toronto, and any other needed actions to obtain permits. In November 2020 Alex confirmed that he submitted all the final documentation to the city for a permit and accepted our final payment in full (~$19,000). Throughout November 2020 to January 2021 upon our asking for updates, Alex confirmed several times that he submitted the documentation for permits and we were just in a holding pattern, and he could not provide a confirmation/submission number or any other updates. However, in late January upon us contacting the City of Toronto we discovered Alex was deceiving us and never submitted any documentation to the city, and never created or provided us with final drawings for which he accepted payment in full.
From late January 2021 to late February 2021 Alex was hard to get a hold of and stopped replying to texts, emails, phone calls, etc. each time we tried to reach out and find out what was going on and to receive an official confirmation. It was at this point where we decided to post online reviews of our experience.
After the reviews were posted in late February 2021, Alex and Shanon (we had no interaction with Shannon before up to this point) reached out immediately and told us to take down all reviews. Furthermore, Shanon and Alex informed us that they would only provide us with the services which they accepted funds in full for once we complied with the demand of removing reviews.
In an effort to resolve the situation and move forward we took down all reviews with the agreement that they would provide all documentation to us no later than March 5th 2021 (a deadline date that Alex and Shanon suggested and said they can get things done by). On March 5th nothing was received and Alex requested another week. On March 12th (the new deadline) Alex informed us again that he does not have anything and requested another week (March 19th). After not hearing from him or receiving anything we reached out on March 22nd at which point Alex responded that he still has nothing and will get us the agreed to work by March 26th. That deadline, like the several before that came and went with Alex providing nothing. Since then Alex has not reached out and we have not received any of the work that he agreed to.