I hired Mr. Roof Repair to install a ventilation system on my bungalow to fix an issue cause by foam insulation. Initially, they seemed very professional. The job included chimney removal, and re-roofing, but the main goal of the job was to get more air flow into my attic. The existing shingles would have lasted another 5-10 years.
The ventilation system involved installing new roof deck installed intake vents - in an off-roof edge installation, meaning above the bottom edge of the roof, and above the attic insulation. When I asked the installer whether he was installing above the insulation, he told me he was pushing it away as he goes. The installers never went in the attic to ensure there was enough air flowing into the attic, however I did.
Sure enough, most of the vents were covered by insulation. I crawled around and pulled it back myself. At the same time, I noticed the chimney is blocking the intake vent for several feet. This type of ventilation system is dependant on a balance of intake to outtake, and that formula has not been attained because of the blockages. As a result, my roof deck gets absolutely soaked. I can hear it dripping from October to May.
Once I noticed the soaked roof deck, Steve (from Mr. Roof Repair) came to a meeting with the insulation installers and engineers from the insulation manufacturers. The engineers took pictures of the intake vents and noted that there is very little light/air coming in (see image). They recommended getting more air circulation into the attic. Steve knows this, and will not respond to emails and phone calls.
Besides the failure of the ventilation system, there were a few other issues -
1) The crew that removed the chimney was not professional at all. The used my brand new Rubbermaid bins to haul concrete to the dumpster instead of bringing their own wheelbarrow. Those bins have never closed properly since. They also used what they could find around my property to shield the neighbour’s windows, and did not protect the ground at all as the tossed heavy chunks of concrete onto it leaving dents in the ashphalt. They did not remove enough of the chimney — it obstructs the venting that was installed.
2) The installers initially cut into the wrong side of the roof deck because their work order was incorrect. This was not repaired and I don’t know if it is causing part of the condensation issue. I was told the cut was no bigger than the gaps which are already there.
3) Speaking of gaps, they did nothing to repair the larger gaps in the deck before shingling over them. They did offer an option of plywood as a really expensive extra, and only later informed me that the new shingles are thinner than my old shingles — so in hindsight the plywood should not have been optional, as this too, is contributing to the wetness on the deck.
3) Despite assuring me that all nails would be removed from the gutters (because I have a dog), a drone inspection revealed that there were many left sitting on my gutter covers.
The new roof looks really nice, they did come and remove the nails and fix a few other issues I had requested after the drone inspection. Initially they were responsive. My feeling is that the folks that give this company high reviews have never actually inspected the work.
I have made several calls, sent multiple emails, and have been ghosted.