Requested for help on a outdoor Sauna which kept tripping but only after a certain temperature. Abe responded very quickly to send someone the next day to diagnose and quote for the fix. No heads-up on pricing. Person came the next day and looked at the sauna. First checked the wiring and then peeled open the control panel. Found a bit of water in the panel and made the call that we need to purchase a new panel. Total 45 mins. This did not leave me feeling confident that the main cause has been discovered. Once he left, I was then told it would be 180 for the diagnostics fee which caught me totally off guard. I accepted this as my fault as I did not realize that a quote for the fix would also have a cost and did not ask (couple others who responded to my request later the next day gave a heads up of fee $110 and $125 without me asking for it but unfortunately it was too late). Abe mentioned that they would find out the cost of the new panel and provide the full cost of the fix with $50 discount if we want to move forward with them.
A week later, I reached out and asked if there has been any updates. He then said that he just purchased the panel for $392 + tax with no guaranteed ETA and I can always cancel if I do not feel like moving ahead with their services. NOTE that he made the purchase without any confirmation from me nor given me any date by which I need to cancel. I was also quoted a labour of $539-650 to replace the panel which was really high given that the steps that they described is the same as a 6-step process that you can Google for replacing sauna control panel. They also told me to wait for a warmer weather to perform the fix.
Given the above, I decided that I needed a second opinion on the diagnostics as I am concerned that there might be more problems than just the control panel and that the total of the fix might end up really high and not worth it. Since I was told that I can always cancel and also no guaranteed ETA, I did not want to immediately cancel as I might still need the panel. Given the COVID restrictions and cold weather, I decided to wait till after the lockdown to get the second opinion.
Couple weeks later, Abe reached out to say that the panel has arrived. He also shared that I can purchase the panel without their labour. As I still wanted to wait for a second opinion, I told him that I am still waiting to make the decision of moving forward and inquired on the timeline for when he can return the panel. However, he said that since the panel has arrived from US and does not want to hold on to it, he pressured to buy it as it can't be returned. I felt like I was trapped as I was told that I can always cancel so I told him that I don't want it anymore. After some back and forth, he finally agreed that he will look into returning the panel.
Now a week later, he came back again and said that it will be $50 + HST for returning and restocking of the panel. He wanted to confirm that I don't want the panel and intended to charge me for the return. He mentioned that if I'm not paying the returning fee then the panel is not returnable and that I must purchase the panel instead. He accused me of being indecisive and not letting him know immediately when he placed the order even though I was told that cancelling was an option. After a long and frustrating conversation, where he boasted that he has had thousands of other clients who doesn't have my problem (even though Homestars only says 17 reviews and Google with 6 reviews), we decided to part ways. I did not pay the additional $50 on top of the $180 already paid.
Overall, very disappointed with the service. No professionalism and even accused me that it was my fault for not letting them know despite being told that I can always cancel and not move forward with their service.