Contracted Canadecks after reviewing their profile on here to do a concrete patio (10' x 23') and a wooden elevated deck (10' x 12').
Job started on Wed, 6/26/19, and issues arose from the first day:
1) the third party disposal bin company they contracted had dropped off a bin on my driveway without proper wooden blocks, thereby causing damage to the asphalt (dents, scratches and a crack)
2) their usage of heavy machinery (Bobcat) without laying down of plywood sheets (as Tyler had initially mentioned they would use) caused damage to an interlocked path (about 90-100 sq ft) as well as to lawn on the side and at the back of the house.
Further issues from this project:
3) forgotten? wooden beam (2" x 4" x 10') burried in the concrete pad
4) disposed concrete trash in the garden by fence with neighbour
5) concrete pad had improper slope for water drainage; rough broomed finish with blotches in some spots - looks old)
6) wooden deck (rough finish from cuts not sanded; staples left in some wood beams; cuts left unstained; looks like some of the beams they used were old, which cracked/split creating safety hazard)
When confronted, Tyler agreed to address issues, but only resolved issues 3 and 4 and agreed to discount for the resolving of issue 1.
After he and his 1 worker came to address these issues (3 & 4) I advised him that I will hold back an amount of $2,278.50, so that I can address the remaining issues (2, 5 and 6). Should there be a balance left, I would pay them that difference. After about half hr of back and forth about how they did their job and me saying that it was not completed and not done right as well as the damages caused, they left.
Found another contractor to address outstanding issues, but at a higher cost ($2,994.50) than what I held back ($2,278.50). Advised Tyler of this and he now states that these are my issues and that I still owe them a balance.
I have taken pictures and a video of all the damage done from the job and will attach several here.
Got the driveway holes/crack patched and sealed by another contractor - decent job, but will never look like it did before - it was recently done and in mint condition.
Tyler's attempt to "fix" the deep trenches left by the Bobcat was to literally dump some black soil in there - which was mostly washed away by the rain the next day - solid fix guys!
Lawn was in great condition before the project started (all 3 surrounding neighbours can attest).
A bit hard to see, but the surface of the concrete pad (broomed finish) was terribly done - it looked like it was many years old (really poor job). Can see water pooling right in the middle and in some spots backfall towards the house - instead of draining away - no attempt to fix this by Canadecks - Tyler advised there's nothing they can do. Hired a contractor who spent a whole day just grinding away at the surface to create proper drainage and to improve the look of the surface.
Needless to say, there's a HUGE discrepancy between my experience and the raving reviews on homestars.com (39 reviews all 10/10 except for one 7/10), which raises many red flags for me. Are they fake reviews? Or was this just a case of carelessness, incompetence or malicious intent?
Hope others do not get burned.