Three years ago I contracted Blue Door Remodeling & Construction to do a major exterior revovation of the upper level of our house: roofing, install siding and replace one old window with thermal. The house is a typical East York late 30's two storey semi.
This February the back "flat" roof section developed a major leak while we were away. Water came through causing total damage to the back bedroom ceiling and destroying the hardwood flooring (buckled).
I called Blue Door and had to leave a voice messages (always goes to voice mail) without giving my reason for calling. Within 20 minutes I received a call back from Bill, the owner and the same person I dealt with three years ago. I explained the problem and he made a comment like "oh, there's been a lot of that this year due to the weather"
To make a long story short since that first phone call Bill has been impossible to reach. Blue Door does not return calls nor has anyone come by to inspect the roof as promised.
When a warmer day arrived two weeks ago I borrowed my nieghbour's ladder and went up on the roof myself to try and see what was going on and was appalled by what I saw:
1) The flat roof had been applied directly over the previous tar & gravel roof.
2) One large section was of a completely different material and was falling agpart. My assumption is the roofer must have ran out of material.
3) Flashing around the chimmney and vent stack were horrible.
4) The peremter flashing that is supposed to be applied before installing the roofing was stuck on AFTER. Water now "pools" up there instead of draining away.
5) Where the flat roof meets the sloped roof, the lower several courses of shingles are not sealing. This I believe is the source of the water penetration due to ice damming. I have lived in this house since 1983 and never before had any leaks.
My recomendation to anyone considering this company is to find someone else.
- Approximate cost of services: