I read some of these reviews, but only after I put in an offer. Wish I had done some more homework earlier...
- they have been good to follow Tarion deadlines, they usually return emails but some people don't and some not often...
- they underpromise on things, only to deliver or add features later
- head office was unprofessional with timing, sign backs, and return calls; some even don't have voice mail
- decor centre: like previously commented, if you don't upgrade, they give you the lowest quality materials that don't even match! (pure crap)
- they contract out to shoddy workers: poor paint quality, messy washroom installations, and sometimes written instructions are not followed
- they don't build everything to code, e.g. light switches behind doors and won't fix unless you push hard
Tip: 1) don't rely on only Tarion awards to tell you whether the builder is good or not. Tarion is moving more towards supporting builders than owners, though some new rules are improving.
2) trust some of these comments and don't assume you'll be one of the lucky ones.
3) don't trust their features sheet w/out seeing samples before you put in offer.
4) really do consult a lawyer before you purchase. Arista's link to purchase offer was broken before it opened.
5) don't ignore red flags to most important purchase of your life