The installation of our furnace, air conditioning, humidifier and thermostat were scheduled and completed on April 14, 2021. The following was our experiences with the installation process.
Technicians arrived on time at 10:00am
Technicians did what they can to avoid any damages to our property. EG Covered Staircases with cloths, removed shoes when necessary.
Technicians cleaned up (about 90%) after installation both inside and outside. (I have no complaints with the remaining 10%, just basic vacuum, mopping and picking up loose metals etc.)
Basic testing completed.
Lennox Furnace was quiet and running smoothly.
Technicians did not consult with owners prior to drilling holes on wall when installing Air Conditioning brackets and exhaust pipe.
Technicians did not consult with owners about exhaust pipe direction and placement, as a result, the exhaust pipe are extended about three to four feet high above ground (slanted toward the house) and is pointing toward our neighbour, steam coming from the exhaust pipe are disturbing to us and our neighbour. Condensation and rain water can dripped back to the furnace.
It would be prudent try to meet the wish of the owners when possible.
Two questions were asked by my wife, the technician was sarcastic when answering them.
Lennox Air Conditioning was tested – we will find out how it works in the summer.
Cannot comment on workmanship of the installation as we are not technical. We will know in time abut the AC.
Technician did not wear a badge showing their licences. We do not know if they are fully licence or qualified HVAC technicians.
- Company Response
Dear Dennis, thanks for your review. We would love to hear more about your experience, so that we can use your valuable feedback to deliver an even better experience next time. Please reach out to 4168235808 with any further comments or suggestions you wish to share. Again, thank you for taking the time to review our business!