We have had numerous problems with poor workmanship in our home and have had to keep hounding AVI to make repairs, after numerous phone calls and emails some of our concerns have been fixed, however many remain unsolved. I am only listing the issues that to date have not been resolved.
1. Defective window not repaired. We purchased a brand new Home built by AVI. Possession date was 25 July 2017. On possession day we reported a defective window and were told that it would be repaired under warranty. When it was being replaced it was dropped and caused damage on the outside of the house. The damage on the house was repaired, however when winter weather came we discovered that the window was frozen shut. When we were able to open it we found ice buildup inside the window frame. We reported it and they came back several times to try to repair it. Every time it turned cold the window continued to freeze up. The last time they were here for an attempted repair was March 2018. On March 31 2018 the temperature outside dropped and we took a picture of the frost build up inside the window frame and sent it to AVI to request another repair. The response we got was that the window had already been repaired and we would have to wait until the winter of 2018/2019 when the temperature was cold again. We corrected AVI and explained that the photo we sent was dated 31March2018 and was factually taken after the attempted repair. We told AVI that when the window was repaired the person who did the repair told us to be sure to contact them if we had any further problems. AVI responded by saying that the manager Peter would contact us after he returned from holidays. We were never contacted by Peter and when we contacted AVI again with our concern we never received a response. All of this correspondence took place VIA email and can easily be verified. It is now September and the window still has not been repaired.
2. A small crack on the sidewalk has turned into an uneven chunk about 1 inch deep and about 6 inches long. When Al was here on July 23 he assured me that it would be fixed. When he returned on Sept 7th for other repairs he denied telling me that it would be fixed.
3. Parging was missed on a section at the back of our home about 8 feet long and 6 inches at the highest point. Our request to have this repaired has been denied.
4. AVI provided the landscaping and water ponds in our back yard and on the ground between our two homes. Photos were taken and repairs were made in the back yard, however no repairs were made on the ground between our two homes. Our concerns were going unanswered by our contacts with AVI so we went to our AVI sales person with our concerns. We received a phone call from Peter a few days later and he was upset because he said that he had pictures of our yard and the landscaping company had repaired both the back yard and the area between the two homes. I correct him and said that the neighbours had replaced the sod between the two homes, but that the landscaping company had not done anything to address our concerns about the drainage. He insisted they had fixed it and said that he would contact the landscaping company and get back to us. That was several weeks ago and we still have no response from him.
5. Splattered paint on deck railing. This was reported and we were told that it had been removed but we found that it was still there. We have been told verbally that it will be replaced; however we did not get anything about it in writing and due to the pattern of dishonesty that we have experienced from the AVI employees we have concerns that it also will not be addressed.
6. Garage door leaked water and does not operate smoothly. The weather stripping was replaced and at that time we noticed that two door panels are defective and that could possibly be the reason the door does not operate smoothly. We were told that the panels would not be replaced because they would not be covered under warranty because they were installed 1.5 years ago. AVI told us that they should be replaced because the warranty period should be from date of possession. Again due to the lack of honesty and response we have had with AVI we are not confident that this will be fixed.
- Company Response
We hear your concerns and have been working with our departments and with the Alberta New Home Warranty Program (ANHWP) to rectify your concerns, where we can. We hold your concerns to a high regard and encourage you to contact Peter Johns our warranty manager directly or like we mentioned on your other review, await his call as he will be in contact with you within the week to further discuss.